Skip to main content

The Chill by Scott Carson Review

 


 



Title: The Chill

Author: Scott Carson 

Page Count: 464

Paperback Edition 

Genres: Horror, Fiction, Thriller, Mystery, Paranormal, Supernatural 

Published: February 11,2020

About the book:

(Back cover) 

Far upstate, in New York's ancient forests, a drowned village lies beneath the dark waters of the Chilewaukee Reservoir. Early in the twentieth century, the town was destroyed for the greater good: bringing water to the millions living downstate. Or at least that's what the politicians from Manhattan insisted at the time. The local families, settled there since before America's founding, were forced from their land, but they didn't move far, and some didn't move at all…. Now, a century later, a dark prophecy looms and the time has come for it to be fulfilled.




Review:

The Chill by Scott Carson is one of the best books I've read in years.  


I was originally intrigued when I first stumbled upon this book on Goodreads in the giveaway section ( yes, Goodreads has book giveaways every single day). I was lucky enough to win a copy and could not wait to dive in.

This book has characters that you can really relate to and they truly come to life from the very first page. The Chill is typically classified as a supernatural thriller but it really manages to put family and the different dynamics families face front and center.  


The Chill really shows you the strength, courage, and resilience people have and just how far they are willing to go not only for the ones they love but also for complete strangers. 

I typically will burn through a book in a few hours or a day, however, I will admit this book was so intense I would have to take breaks after every few chapters to really process what the characters were going through on an emotional level and loved every single minute of it. Very rarely do I find a book that has this kind of effect on me so when I do it really sticks with me.


 The plot of this book is definitely the most unique thing I have ever personally come across in a book. Just a warning this book will keep you guessing and second guessing everything you think you know. 

5 stars

For Review Requests Contact 

readingcorner.jenn@gmail.com


Follow me on

Twitter

Instagram

Threads

Pinterest






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Unraveling by Vi Keeland Review

  View this post on Instagram A post shared by Jennifer Reep Hall (@thejennhall) Title  The Unraveling  Author  Vi Keeland  Synopsis  This isn't a love story. It's a story about obsession. You'll assume you know who the object of the obsession is. The psychiatrist concealing the twisted connection she has to her patient. But more than one person hides a secret. To what lengths will desire and grief drive a person? Stop guessing. Let the mystery unravel. Review  ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Wow! The Unraveling was the best psychological thriller I've ever read! This book really pulls back the curtain on the psyche of multiple characters trying to come to grips with the loss of loved ones and punishing themselves and others in the process. The Unraveling will have you reeling from the first page to the last. Highly recommend! For Review Requests Contact  readingcorner.jenn@gmail.com

Autumn 2025 Bookshelf

Welcome back to the blog! I am happy to tell you that I'm finally over my reading slump and making up for lost time. Many of you know that I lost my dad a few months ago and with him my love of reading. My dad was the one that turned me into a bookworm at a very young age and the thought of picking up a book made me think of him and was so painful that I stopped reading for a while.  When it comes to reading, I read multiple genres and use all versions of books, including print, audio, and Kindle. I love print books, especially hardback books. I love hardback books so much that I actually made an Amazon Wishlist for them so I can expand my collection. There's nothing better than curling up in a chair with a cat, quilt, and cup of coffee with a physical book in hand. I also use the Kindle app ( I don't actually own a kindle) on my phone and tablet. When I want to read but don't have time to sit down I opt for audiobooks. Needless to say with all the different ways avail...

Two Truths and a Murder by Colleen Cambridge Book Review

Welcome back to my cozy little blog! As many of you know, I hit a bit of a reading slump for several months but I'm back and making up for lost time.  Title  Two Truths and a Murder  Series A Phyllida Bright Mystery  Author  Colleen Cambridge  Genre  Historical Mystery  Publisher  Kensington  Page Count  261 plus acknowledgments Format Hardcover  Official Synopsis  Agatha Christie’s trusted housekeeper, Phyllida Bright, has become an amateur sleuth in her own right. When a party game leads to murder, she decides to crash the investigation. While her famous employer is happily back home at Mallowan Hall, wrestling with her Belgian detective's dilemma on board the Orient Express, Phyllida is finding her local renown as a sleuth has put her in high demand. A distraught Vera Rollingbroke suspects her husband of infidelity and has invited Phyllida to a dinner party to observe his behavior, particularly in regard to one Genevra ...