Skip to main content

Murder in Highbury by Vanessa Kelly

 

Welcome to Jenn's Reading Corner here on the blog. I will admit this is one of my favorites things to write about, Books! Today I will be sharing a book that was released on October 22, 2024 and fans of Jane Austen will absolutely love this book.




Title

Murder in Highbury

Author

Vanessa Kelly

Series

An Emma Knightley Mystery

Synopsis

Less than one year into her marriage to respected magistrate George Knightley, Emma ( based on the Jane Austen character) has grown unusually content with her newfound partnership and refreshed sense of independence. The height of summer sees the former Miss Woodhouse gracefully balancing the meticulous management of her elegant family estate and a flurry of social engagements, with few worries apart from her beloved father's health…


But the cheery circumstances change in an instant when Emma and Harriet Martin, now the wife of one of Mr. Knightley’s tenant farmers, discover a hideous shock at the local church. The corpse of Mrs. Augusta Elton, the vicar’s wife, has been discarded on the altar steps and the ornate necklace she often wore was stripped from her neck.


As a chilling murder mystery unfolds and chaos descends upon the tranquil village of Highbury, the question isn't simply who committed the crime, but who wasn't secretly wishing for the unpleasant woman's demise. When suspicion suddenly falls on a harmless local, Emma decides to discreetly investigate. Armed with wit, unwavering determination, and extensive social connections, she will protect the innocent and expose the ruthless culprit hiding in plain sight.

About the Author

Vanessa Kelly is a multiple USA Today bestselling author of historical mysteries and historical romances published in 11 languages. She has won multiple awards, including the prestigious Maggie Medallion for best historical romance. After receiving her MA in English Literature from Rutgers University, Vanessa spent several years in the Ph.D. program at the University of Toronto, studying women authors of the 18th Century, including Jane Austen and Frances Burney. She lives in Ottawa, Canada with her husband.

Learn more about Vanessa Kelly at her website 

 

My Notes as I was Reading 

I would first like to say that Vanessa Kelly is an amazing writer. Murder in Highbury is actually the first book I've read by this author and I was truly blown away by her writing style. 


Vanessa Kelly captured the language, mannerisms, and culture of the time period perfectly.


The book is filled with a grand cast of characters that the author has breathed life into each and every one of them. Some of the characters you will love and some you will despise ( which in my opinion only a truly talented author can make you despise a fictional character) .


Emma and George are the epitome of marriage goals. Their marriage consists of mutual respect, love, protectiveness, and admiration for each other's strengths 



Family, friends, and community take a prominent role in this book , the good and the bad 


 I have to admit I have a newfound  admiration and respect for the character as a whole.


Emma Knightley portrays the strength, wisdom, grace , assertiveness , and outspokenness that was a joy to see. 

It was inspiring to say the least to ride along with Emma as she embraced her true self and held nothing back .


Review 

I thoroughly enjoyed reading Murder in Highbury. I've always been a huge fan of the mystery genre. I will admit that I have not read very much in the historical genre so I wasn't too sure if this book would resonate with me. Once I started reading that worry was out the door so fast. Emma is now married to the magistrate and is managing her father's wealth, helping her community, and taking care of her ailing father. Emma and her friend are quickly thrown into the middle of a murder investigation when they discover the body of the vicar's wife inside the church. Emma notices several clues inside and outside of the church while she is waiting for her husband, coroner, and constable to arrive. Emma quickly realizes if this case is going to be solved she will have to take matters into her own hands .


Murder in Highbury is one of those books that you simply can't put down. I read this book in one day.

Murder in Highbury has a great plot, I absolutely adore the time period and the author was very thorough in the research to make sure everything was accurate for that time period. The writing was incredible. I was hooked from the very first page and could not stop reading. I have been reading mysteries for years and although there were numerous clues throughout the entire book I was not able to solve the mystery until it was actually revealed on the page. This is extremely rare, I can usually figure out the mystery in a book after a couple of chapters. Murder in Highbury will keep you guessing and turning the pages from cover to cover. 

A 5 Star Book 


Don't forget For Review Requests Contact 

readingcorner.jenn@gmail.com


 follow on Socials

Twitter (X)

Pinterest 

Instagram 

Threads









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Unraveling by Vi Keeland Review

  View this post on Instagram A post shared by Jennifer Reep Hall (@thejennhall) Title  The Unraveling  Author  Vi Keeland  Synopsis  This isn't a love story. It's a story about obsession. You'll assume you know who the object of the obsession is. The psychiatrist concealing the twisted connection she has to her patient. But more than one person hides a secret. To what lengths will desire and grief drive a person? Stop guessing. Let the mystery unravel. Review  ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Wow! The Unraveling was the best psychological thriller I've ever read! This book really pulls back the curtain on the psyche of multiple characters trying to come to grips with the loss of loved ones and punishing themselves and others in the process. The Unraveling will have you reeling from the first page to the last. Highly recommend! For Review Requests Contact  readingcorner.jenn@gmail.com

Autumn 2025 Bookshelf

Welcome back to the blog! I am happy to tell you that I'm finally over my reading slump and making up for lost time. Many of you know that I lost my dad a few months ago and with him my love of reading. My dad was the one that turned me into a bookworm at a very young age and the thought of picking up a book made me think of him and was so painful that I stopped reading for a while.  When it comes to reading, I read multiple genres and use all versions of books, including print, audio, and Kindle. I love print books, especially hardback books. I love hardback books so much that I actually made an Amazon Wishlist for them so I can expand my collection. There's nothing better than curling up in a chair with a cat, quilt, and cup of coffee with a physical book in hand. I also use the Kindle app ( I don't actually own a kindle) on my phone and tablet. When I want to read but don't have time to sit down I opt for audiobooks. Needless to say with all the different ways avail...

Two Truths and a Murder by Colleen Cambridge Book Review

Welcome back to my cozy little blog! As many of you know, I hit a bit of a reading slump for several months but I'm back and making up for lost time.  Title  Two Truths and a Murder  Series A Phyllida Bright Mystery  Author  Colleen Cambridge  Genre  Historical Mystery  Publisher  Kensington  Page Count  261 plus acknowledgments Format Hardcover  Official Synopsis  Agatha Christie’s trusted housekeeper, Phyllida Bright, has become an amateur sleuth in her own right. When a party game leads to murder, she decides to crash the investigation. While her famous employer is happily back home at Mallowan Hall, wrestling with her Belgian detective's dilemma on board the Orient Express, Phyllida is finding her local renown as a sleuth has put her in high demand. A distraught Vera Rollingbroke suspects her husband of infidelity and has invited Phyllida to a dinner party to observe his behavior, particularly in regard to one Genevra ...