Skip to main content

The Scandalous Hamiltons by Bill Shaffer Book Review

 


Welcome to my little reading corner! I recently had the opportunity to read The Scandalous Hamiltons by Bill Shaffer and I can't wait to share my thoughts with you. 

 Title 

The Scandalous Hamiltons

 Author 

Bill Shaffer

 Genre

 Non Fiction

 Synopsis 

A historical true crime story almost too tawdry to be true - a con woman met the descendant of a Founding Father in a brothel, duped him into marriage using an infant purchased from a baby farm, then went to prison for stabbing the couple’s baby nurse - all while in a common- law marriage with another man. The scandal surrounding Evangeline and Robert Ray Hamilton was one of the sensations of the Gilded Age, a sordid, gripping tale involving bigamy, bribery, sex, and violence. Through personal correspondence, court records, and sensational newspaper accounts, The Scandalous Hamiltons explores not only the full, riveting saga of ill- fated Ray and Eva, but the rise of tabloid journalism - including an exclusive interview conducted by world- famous investigative reporter Nellie Bly - in a story that unfurls as a timeless tale of ambition, greed, and obsession. 

Review 

Let me start off by saying as a true crime fan I couldn't believe I hadn't heard of this story before. 

The Scandalous Hamiltons is very well written and includes so many details about the people, the city and the crimes committed you can literally place yourself back in the opulence of the Gilded Age and feel like you're reading the headlines every morning while sipping your coffee.

 I was surprised to learn that this “scandal” was responsible for launching tabloid headlines in major newspapers. 

 The Scandalous Hamiltons explores the ups and downs of the Gilded Age and the classism that ran rampant during that time. 

 The fact that Ray met Eva at a brothel was seriously glossed over as if it was society's norm, granted I wasn't around during the Gilded Age so it may have well been normal.

 However, it seemed as if the entire story and history of both parties was deliberately set out to make the Hamilton family the victims who had never done anything wrong and Eva painted as nothing more than a conniving, greedy, selfish woman.

 Don't get me wrong she was all that and more but it would have been nice if at the time there would have been more interviews with her directly to get the full picture of her life as part of the Hamilton family. 

 The crimes Eva committed were incomprehensible where the children are involved.( I would caution reading this story if you have recently lost a baby/ child) as it may be too much to bear. 
 The short lived romance/ marriage/ divorce of Ray and Eva saga continued for years even after Ray's death.

 Even though it was proven that their marriage was not legal because she was in a common law marriage to another man she tried to sue to gain everything Ray owned upon his death claiming to be the widow.

 Obviously this did not work but it goes to show just how far she would go to get what she wanted. 

 The author did an amazing job researching this case and that is extremely obvious when you start reading. 

All around this was a good book and I would recommend it if you like non fiction/ true crime.


For Review Requests Contact 

readingcorner.jenn@gmail.com


Follow on Socials

Twitter (X)

Pinterest 

Instagram 

Threads



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Unraveling by Vi Keeland Review

  View this post on Instagram A post shared by Jennifer Reep Hall (@thejennhall) Title  The Unraveling  Author  Vi Keeland  Synopsis  This isn't a love story. It's a story about obsession. You'll assume you know who the object of the obsession is. The psychiatrist concealing the twisted connection she has to her patient. But more than one person hides a secret. To what lengths will desire and grief drive a person? Stop guessing. Let the mystery unravel. Review  ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ Wow! The Unraveling was the best psychological thriller I've ever read! This book really pulls back the curtain on the psyche of multiple characters trying to come to grips with the loss of loved ones and punishing themselves and others in the process. The Unraveling will have you reeling from the first page to the last. Highly recommend! For Review Requests Contact  readingcorner.jenn@gmail.com

Autumn 2025 Bookshelf

Welcome back to the blog! I am happy to tell you that I'm finally over my reading slump and making up for lost time. Many of you know that I lost my dad a few months ago and with him my love of reading. My dad was the one that turned me into a bookworm at a very young age and the thought of picking up a book made me think of him and was so painful that I stopped reading for a while.  When it comes to reading, I read multiple genres and use all versions of books, including print, audio, and Kindle. I love print books, especially hardback books. I love hardback books so much that I actually made an Amazon Wishlist for them so I can expand my collection. There's nothing better than curling up in a chair with a cat, quilt, and cup of coffee with a physical book in hand. I also use the Kindle app ( I don't actually own a kindle) on my phone and tablet. When I want to read but don't have time to sit down I opt for audiobooks. Needless to say with all the different ways avail...

Two Truths and a Murder by Colleen Cambridge Book Review

Welcome back to my cozy little blog! As many of you know, I hit a bit of a reading slump for several months but I'm back and making up for lost time.  Title  Two Truths and a Murder  Series A Phyllida Bright Mystery  Author  Colleen Cambridge  Genre  Historical Mystery  Publisher  Kensington  Page Count  261 plus acknowledgments Format Hardcover  Official Synopsis  Agatha Christie’s trusted housekeeper, Phyllida Bright, has become an amateur sleuth in her own right. When a party game leads to murder, she decides to crash the investigation. While her famous employer is happily back home at Mallowan Hall, wrestling with her Belgian detective's dilemma on board the Orient Express, Phyllida is finding her local renown as a sleuth has put her in high demand. A distraught Vera Rollingbroke suspects her husband of infidelity and has invited Phyllida to a dinner party to observe his behavior, particularly in regard to one Genevra ...